Sunday, February 23, 2003

Progress Prompts:


Did you take any PE (physical education) class when you were in school? Did you enjoy it? Every week day for an hour from kinder to 9th grade I had PE. It was mandatory. Every so many weeks we'd move on to a new unit. I hated them all except soccer, weight training, and swimming. I was good at weight training, we were divided into abilities in swimming and I was in advanced beginners and didn't feel out of place with my group, and then soccer I liked not because I was any good but because I liked kicking. Every other unit we did from track to softball to tennis to... I hated. I simply wasn't esp. fit, and I felt left behind a lot of the time in those skills.


Were you athletically inclined? Nope. I never developed much endurance nor ability. We lived in an urban area with little wide open spaces so if I wasn't running around in PE at school I wans't running around at all. Neither of my parents is sporty and after early childhood swimming lessons they NEVER took us out to do sporty things. I had a slight interest in karate but my mom said no way because it was too boyish a thing to do. And I didn't dig ballet so only my sister went to that. In hindsight I just wish that my parents played with us more and did more active things with us or supported my interest in active things whether or not they considered it too boysih for a girl to be doing. They were very good about providing us with cultural stimulus and travel and so on beyond our basic needs, but not good at all with providing us with athletic experiences.



Have you ever participated in a team sport? No, not like an afterschool sport to letter in or anything. If it wasn't in PE I just didn't do it.


In an individual sport? Yes. I liked road races -- a discovery I didn't make until post-college. You have a lot of silly requirements for General Education classes in college. I'm actually a little surprised there wasn't a semester required in some sport thing. I had to have a year's requirement to grad HS (that's why I got it out of the way in 9th grade).


What sports have you tried, and what sport would you like to try/learn?
As an adult I've tried tennis, swimming, water aerobics, aerobics classes, yoga, tai chi, badminton, ping pong, walking, jogging, roller skating, roller blading, ice skating, weight training, mountain biking, casual biking fishing, archery, slingshot-ting (is that a sport or is that part of archery?) and bowling. I pretty much liked them all except aerobics. It's that group thing. I prefer tiny classes (less than 10 people) or couple things where you play against 1 other person. I can't deal with large groups. I secretly want to try hang gliding and windsurfing.


Do you enjoy/are you easily inspired from watching sports? No. I think watching sports is boring. I'd rather be the one playing the sport. So if I'm not in the game, I don't want to be watching other people doing it. There's better things to watch! I suppose I'd feel differently if I knew one of the players personally. Then it would be supporting my friend from the sidelines. But watch total strangers? Nah. Too dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment